- Applications for deferred entry are welcomed for all subjects taken by the College - except Physics* and the beginners' Russian course**.
- Candidates should be aware that in many subjects, applicants who are offered places for deferred entry will generally be among the strongest of the cohort for their subject.
- A number of deferred entry applicants may be offered a non-deferred place instead.
- Candidates should be aware that applicants for deferred entry are unlikely to be given interviews by colleges other than Merton.
For more detail on individual subjects' deferred entry policies, please check departmental websites.
If you are taking a gap year as a UK or EU student, you must make arrangements for completing an admissions test (if your subject requires it) in November and interviews in December.
* Merton's Tutors in Physics do not encourage deferred entry, largely because lack of practice can affect the mathematical competence achieved at A Level or equivalent. They will, however, consider applications in certain special circumstances, e.g. where a candidate sponsored by industry is spending a year in a laboratory.
** It is a policy of the Modern Languages Faculty that applicants for beginners' Russian cannot apply for deferred entry. Read more about beginners' Russian on the Faculty page.
It is very helpful if all applicants planning a gap year explain briefly what their plans entail on their application form.