Merton has a rich research culture that particularly encourages interchange between and among Fellows & Graduates, both informally and through the Merton Research Groups and Ockham Lecture series.
This is complemented by our programme of Visiting Research Fellowships which brings leading academics into the College community each term; as well as the presence of many Visiting Scholars who stay in College whilst collaborating with Fellows.
The VRF Scheme
The scheme is intended to attract eminent researchers to Oxford and Merton College. The scheme offers free accommodation and meals. There are normally two Visiting Research Fellows resident in any term. Fellowships can be held for one to three terms. Every application has to be sponsored by a Fellow of the College.
Trinity - Professor Michael Goldberg, Cornell University (Biological Sciences) and Professor Paul Kovacs, University of Virginia (Classics)
Previous Visiting Research Fellows have included:
- Professor Francisco Pina Polo, Universidad de Zaragoza
- Professor John Tyson, Virginia Poly Institute & State University
- Professor Junhyong Kim, University of Pennsylvania
- Professor Graham Bell, McGill University
- Professor Steven Ellis, NUI Galway
- Professor Barton Beebe, New York University
- Professor Per Helander, Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics
- Professor Kai Behrend, University of British Columbia
- Professor Benny Sudakov, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich
- Professor Bruce Harris, University of Auckland
- Professor Cary Forest, University of Wisconsin
- Professor Chad Carmichael, Indiana University—Purdue University Indianapolis
- Professor Daniel Neumark, University of California, Berkeley
- Professor Jewel Brooker, Eckerd College, Florida
- Dr Koen Verboven, University of Ghent
- Professor Francesco Califano, University of Pisa
- Professor Sheng-Lin Jan, National Taiwan University
- Dr Peter Catto, MIT
- Dr Emiel van Loon, University of Amsterdam
- Professor Kendra McLauchlan, Kansas State University
- Professor Gregory Hammett, Princeton University
All Visiting Scholars and Visiting Research Fellows have to be nominated by a Fellow of the College. Fellows can check availability on the intranet.
Some of our recent events are now available to listen to as podcasts at http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/units/merton-college