|Time (for 11:00am ceremonies)
||Time (for 2:30pm ceremonies)
||Refreshments available for graduands and their guests.
Graduands collect gowns and tickets.
||Graduands attend Dean’s Briefing and registration.
Guests make their way to the Sheldonian Theatre.
||Graduands proceed to Sheldonian Theatre led by Dean.
||Degree ceremony begins.
||Reception at Merton College.
- Tea and coffee will be available to graduands and their guests attending the ceremony. This is available from 9:30-10:00am for morning ceremonies, and from 1:00-1:30pm for afternoon ceremonies.
- Collecting Gowns and Tickets
- Guest tickets for the ceremony must be collected from college. If graduands order their gown(s) to be delivered to Merton, they will receive these when they collect their tickets.
- Ceremony Briefing
- Graduands must assemble to meet the Dean for a briefing and to register their presence. Please note that graduands are not permitted to participate in the ceremony without having registered their presence with the Dean at the briefing.
- The briefing takes place at 10:00am for morning ceremonies, and at 1:30pm for afternoon ceremonies.
- Guests should make their way to the Sheldonian Theatre at this point.
- Proceeding to the Sheldonian Theatre
- Guests should ensure they arrive at the Sheldonian not less than 20 minutes before the start of the ceremony, and must be prepared to present their tickets upon arrival.
- The Dean will lead graduands to the Sheldonian.
- Degree Ceremony
- Graduands will be presented by the Dean to the Vice-Chancellor; graduands will then go outside the Sheldonian where the member of staff assisting with gowning will help them change into their new gown/hood.
- Graduands then re-enter the Sheldonian in the full gowns and hoods of the degree they have just taken and had conferred.
- An example of the full University Degree Ceremony brochure can be found here.
- Reception at Merton College
- After the ceremony, all graduands and their guests (where applicable) are invited to an optional canapé reception at Merton College. Graduands must book to attend the reception.
Points to note
Although it is still possible to take more than one degree at a ceremony, you will only be presented to the Vice-Chancellor for the highest of them and will not be presented for the others. This means that a candidate will still receive all the degrees (and certificates) to which they are entitled at one ceremony, but will only be announced once. Please note that in this scenario, where you are taking one degree in person and other degrees in absence at the same ceremony, your current status for gowning purposes is deemed to be that of your highest in absentia degree. The Dean, Fra' John Eidinow, is always prepared to deal with queries about academic dress and procedure, and graduands should not hesitate to contact him in case of any doubt.
Each graduand’s name, college and degree title will be published in the ceremony programme/brochure (the ceremony counts as a public event). If you do not wish your name to be printed in the programme and did not indicate this when you booked your ceremony then please contact the college.
Cost of degrees
There is no charge for the conferral of any degree other than the Oxford MA.
There is a University fee of £40 for the MA. You will not be allowed to graduate for the MA unless you have paid this fee. Payment must be made online by following the instructions which will be emailed to you a month before your ceremony.