Launching today, 40 Years: Merton Women 1980-2020 is a year-long series of events and initiatives marking the anniversary of the admission of women to the college.
Announcing the start of the year, the Warden, Professor Irene Tracey, said:
“I am delighted to be celebrating 40 Years of Women at Merton in this coming academic year. I too joined the College just five years after the admission of women and it’s remarkable to return and witness the progress we’ve made.
"I am humbled by the many contributions Merton women, drawn from staff, students, Fellows and alumnae, have made and continue to make to the College and world.
"This anniversary year provides a much-needed boost to our spirits. It is noteworthy that it coincides with the University’s 100 Year Celebration of Women officially receiving degrees. Although there is still work to do regarding equality, we have good cause for celebration.”
Despite the uncertainties of planning during a pandemic, there will be opportunities for celebration and recognition throughout the year:
- Women from the wider college community will be featured in a series of profiles on the College website and social media.
- The 40 Years Series of online lectures by some of our featured women will begin in 2nd Week.
- An exhibition highlighting the involvement of women in the College during its long history.
- The College is working towards diversifying the portraiture in the common spaces.
- There will be music composed and performed by women.
- Meetings of college research groups will focus on work by and about women, culminating in a Study Day in May 2021.
- The JCR and MCR are planning themed events.
- The Gardens Team will be creating a planting project linked to the anniversary.
40 Years: Merton Women 1980-2020 is also an opportunity to look forward. The College will be launching a programme to link students with alumnae mentors, as well as establishing a graduate scholarship for women in STEM subjects. Plans are also underway to open a nursery, a significant benefit to the young families of the entire Merton community in years to come.
• Find out more about 40 Years: Merton Women 1980-2020
• Follow the #MertonWomen40years hashtag on social media
• Check our events listing for details of the 40 Years Series