Shopping cart

Your shopping basket is empty. View the shop here
The TS Eliot Theatre (c) John Cairns

The 750th Anniversary Campaign: Protecting and resourcing our Historic Buildings

An important aspect of Merton’s excellence is providing a world-class environment in which the whole College community can thrive. The 750th Anniversary Campaign allowed Merton to complete the following very necessary capital projects:

  • Refurbished the College Lodge to provide increased capacity for current students, better security and more appropriate facilities for those with a disability. Fundraising was launched within the Annual Fund 2007-2008 and the Project was enabled by individual donations, and especially by a very generous gift from David Harvey: British-born, but US-based, Mertonian (1957).
  • Renewed the lighting in the Upper Library with thanks to David Ure, Merton (1965).
  • Installed new lighting and sound system in the Chapel.
  • Built the MC3 Fitness Room.
  • Completed the College's first major building project for the Campaign, the TS Eliot Theatre. The Theatre has been in use since the summer of 2010, and is known to be one of the most impressive Lecture Theatres across the University of Oxford. It provides state-of-the-art facilities for conferences, as well as enhancing the seminar and lecture programme during term-time. The College is very grateful to the two 750th Anniversary Campaign Chairs, John Booth and Charles Manby for leading the fundraising for the Theatre, which has been enabled by the generous support of Mertonians.
Photo: © John Cairns - www.johncairns.co.uk