Mertonians making a difference
The Merton Fund (previously known as The Annual Fund) encompasses all gifts to the College under £25,000. These gifts provide the College with an essential source of regular income, which is used in in ways that have a direct and meaningful impact on our students:
- Undergraduate Student Support - The income from the Undergraduate Student Support Fund helps to pay for Merton-Oxford bursaries for undergraduates from low-income backgrounds who otherwise would not be able to afford to study at Oxford.
- Graduate Scholarships - Merton’s graduates are amongst the best in Oxford, but without funding for scholarships we shall continue to lose many of the very brightest to the competition in the US.
- Student Support Fund - The Student Support Fund provides vital money for all students who require support due to unforeseen hardship.
- Tutorial System - The Tutorial System is the bedrock of an Oxford education. Merton must be able to support and maintain this unique system, to ensure high-quality teaching for undergraduates. The College is currently raising funds to endow a Law Fellowship.
- Buildings and facilities – It is essential that Merton can provide its students and Fellows with the proper space in which to study, teach and live. The College’s unique historic site needs constant maintenance and upgrade – your gifts will ensure that it is fit for use as a 21st-century college. The College is currently raising funds to renovate and update the Boat House.
- Unrestricted gifts - Unrestricted gifts are also of great importance to the College, as they allow us to respond with flexibility to changing priorities.
Participation is key
Participation at any level is crucial to the success of the Merton Fund. The ongoing, regular support of donors allows the College to plan for the future, and the cumulative effect of multiple smaller donations can be huge.
In 2015-2016, 17% of Mertonians gave over £870,000 in gifts under £25,000 - thanks to every one of you! It is heartening to see so many Mertonians engaged in supporting the work, research, and welfare of the people living and working at the College today, and we hope that many more of you will choose to participate this year.
For more information about supporting Merton through the Annual Fund:
Add your support today
Make a regular donation to the Annual Fund via our online giving page from the UK | from outside the UK